Not only are DIY bookshelves easier than buying them off of a store shelf, but they also give you plenty of freedom to set them up the way that you want. Whether you want to place your books high for easy accessibility or low for a decorative look, there is no limit to what your creativity can do!
Benefits of DIY Bookshelves
If you’re looking for a way to add some personality to your bedroom without spending a lot of money, DIY bookshelves are the perfect solution. Not only are they affordable, but they can be customized to match your style and preferences. Here are four benefits of DIY bookshelves that will convince you to give them a try:
1. They’re Economical
While high-end custom bookcases can cost thousands of dollars, DIY options like shelves made from pallets or wood panels are much more affordable. In fact, you could easily build a whole set of shelves using materials you already have lying around the house!
2. They’re Customizable
If you don’t want a pre-made shelf design, there’s no limit to the amount of customization you can do with DIY bookshelves. You can choose from a variety of different materials and styles, making them perfect for any bedroom.
3. They’re Portable
If you ever decide that you no longer want DIY bookshelves in your bedroom, simply move them to another room – they’re very portable!
4. They Can Be Very Functional
Not only do DIY bookshelves look great in your bedroom, but they can also be used as storage spaces for items like blankets or pillows. If space is tight in your bedroom, DIY bookshelves could be the perfect solution for you!
To create an attractive and functional bookshelf for your bedroom, you will need the following materials:
- Sheet of plywood or MDF board
- Lumber of your choice (4×4, 5×5, or 6×6)
- Paint or a wood sealer
- Ruler or a straight edge
- Circular saw
- High-grit sandpaper
- Stiles (if using brackets)
- Cordless drill
- 1 inch hole saw
- Tape measure
- Cabinet knobs or pulls
- Masking tape
- Nail gun
- Cordless drill bits: 7/64″, 1/8″, 3/16″
- Chisels or coping saw
- Sandpaper Block
- Measure the width and length of your plywood or MDF board. Make sure to allow for a 1-inch border on all sides.
- Cut your plywood or MDF board to the desired size with a circular saw. Be sure to keep the proper angle so that the ends of the plywood or MDF board are even.
- Paint or seal your plywood or MDF board according to your desired finish. Be sure to Allow for a two-hour drying time before installing your shelves.
- Drill holes along the top and bottom of each shelf using a cordless drill, hole saw, and sandpaper block. The size of the holes will depend on the type of bracket you are using (see optional materials).
- Place stiles into each drilled hole, if using them, and attach with screws (or nails if using wood).
Which Shelves to Build
If you’re looking for a way to add some personalization and organization to your bedroom, you should build your own bookshelves. There are a variety of different options available, so it’s easy to find something that fits your style.
Some people prefer freestanding shelves because they think they look more industrial and modern. Others might prefer built-in shelves because they think they look more formal and traditional. The important thing is to find something that works with the rest of your bedroom decor and makes you happy!
If you’re not sure where to start, try checking out online resources or visiting your local home improvement store. They’ll be able to give you some ideas and suggest specific products that will work well in your space.
Building your own bookshelves is a great way to personalize and organize your bedroom, so don’t wait! Get Started Now!
How to Build A Bedroom Bookcase
If you’re looking for a way to add some personality and style to your bedroom, you should consider building your own bookshelf. There are a lot of different ways to do this, so it’s perfect if you want something that’s completely unique. Here are some tips on how to build a bedroom bookshelf:
- Start by measuring the space where you plan to put your bookshelf. This will help you determine the size and shape of the bookshelf.
- Once you have the dimensions, start sketching out the basic layout of your shelves using a pencil or a piece of paper. Make sure that the shelf height is correct and that the spacing between shelves is adequate.
- Once you have the layout finalized, start building your bookshelf using wood boards or particleboard. Make sure that the surface is smooth before attaching the boards together with screws or nails.
- Now it’s time to add finishing touches to your bookshelf by painting or decorating it as desired. You can also choose to add lights and wall hooks for extra storage options.
So there you have it, a step-by-step guide on how to build a bedroom bookshelf that will add personality and style to your bedroom.